JHB 011 672 0020 | CPT 021 410 8709 info@mmsgroup.co.za
Reading Time: 2 minutes
Reading Time: 2 minutes

imgFollowing the conclusion of the 2018 tax year, documents will be issued to you that must be retained for tax purposes.

The following documents should, if applicable, be submitted to the accountant who completes your tax return and should be available if the South African Revenue Service (SARS) requests them:

  1. IRP5 and IT3 certificates
    IRP5 and IT3 certificates reflecting salary, annuities, pension and other income received.
  1. Interest received – local and foreign
    IT3 certificates reflecting the interest received for the year relating to savings accounts, cheque accounts, fixed deposits and other investments.
  1. Dividends received – local and foreign
    Details and/or proof of dividends received.
  1. bequests and donations received
    Details and/or proof of bequests and donations received.
  1. Capital gain or loss
    The following information is required:
    • Was the asset your residential property?
    • Return on the sale of the asset.
    • Base cost of the asset, i.e. the purchase price if purchased after 1 October 2001, or a capital gain valuation of the asset.
  1. Other income
    Details and/or proof of other income (e.g. partnership income).
  1. Medical fund contributions
    • Medical fund contribution certificate.
    • Proof of payment of claims not covered by your medical fund and paid by yourself.
  1. Annuity fund contributions
    Annuity fund contribution certificates.
  1. Travel allowance
    If you wish to claim expenses against your travel allowance, the logbook for the tax year is required, together with the following information concerning the vehicle for which you received the travel allowance:
    • Make and model
    • Year of manufacture
    • Purchase price
    • Registration number
    • Kilometre reading on the first day of the applicable tax year (being 1 March in the case of individuals)
    • Kilometre reading on the last day of the tax year (being 28 February of the following calendar year)

    If you kept a record of travel costs incurred during the year, proof of the following is required:

    • Fuel and oil consumption
    • Repairs done
    • Insurance and licence fees
    • Lease/Instalment agreement
  1. Donations
    Proof of deductible donations.
  1. Other information
    Details of any other action or event that may influence your tax liability.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your trusted accountant.

Please note that the 2018 tax season will open on the 1st of July 2018 and non-provisional tax payers will have until the 31st of October 2018 to submit their tax returns via efiling. Please assist your accountant to meet the new deadline by timeously providing all required information.

This article is a general information sheet and should not be used or relied upon as professional advice. No liability can be accepted for any errors or omissions nor for any loss or damage arising from reliance upon any information herein. Always contact your financial adviser for specific and detailed advice. Errors and omissions excepted (E&OE)