- Business or accounting needs Think about what your software needs to do for you. What business systems and processes have to be addressed in the software. Think about payroll functionality, automated entries, inventory lists, which departments need input, tax rules and regulations etc.
- Multi-currency transactions Ensure your accounting software allows you to perform multi-currency transactions i.e. can handle multiple denominations and ZAR conversions. Foreign currency denominated balance sheet accounts should be stated at closing exchange rates at month- or year end, your software should be able to perform such conversions automatically.
- Online Accessibility If you are on the road often or if you would like the ability to access your accounting software from anywhere, consider a web-based software application to allow remote accessibility. Real time financial data, reports and information should be able to be accessed from anywhere and at any time. Cloud-based accounting software is the best solution for on-the-go professionals, especially if there are mobile apps included in the package.
- Integration Features Seamless integration of business software and your accounting software is an important consideration in choosing the right software for your business needs. There are various platforms you may need to integrate, such as CRM, e-commerce systems, inventory software or Microsoft Office. The holistic approach of integrating all your business systems can save time and money and similarly prevent mistakes.
- Data Security Online accounting software is saved on external servers which means your data is safer than if storing on your own servers. Security experts are tasked to ensure your data is as safe as can be. IT security professionals use the latest in security technology to protect your data and do regular back-ups which is a crucial safety feature.
- Customer Support and Care When choosing accounting software, find out if the level of customer support will be sufficient to meet your business requirements. Reputable accounting software providers will have an extensive and experienced customer support team to put your mind at ease.
- Free Trials Most suppliers will offer a free 30-day trial in order to assist you in choosing the correct software for your business. This enables companies to use and ‘test’ the accounting software for a short period in order to decide on whether to proceed with the supplier. This test driving of software can help you identify any questions you may need answered and whether your expectations will be met before the purchase.
- Ability To Grow When choosing your accounting software, ensure that the software considered is scalable to accommodate a growing business. Think of the future and how you intend to grow, and ensure that the accounting software can do the same.
As advocates of Xero Accounting solutions, we offer secure and flexible access to your business accounts on any device, any time! The flexibility of Xero Accounting makes it accounting software of choice for any entrepreneur or small business owner. Talk to us about switching, or visit our website to find out more.
Earlier this month, we discussed the business rescue process and the circumstances when this would be appropriate for a business in a position of financial distress. In the case of a...
The devastating economic impact of Covid-19 and the SA national lockdown has adversely impacted many businesses across South Africa, and an end is not yet in sight. There has been...
One thing remains constant and that is the evolution of technology. The accounting landscape is especially affected by improvements and changes within the technological field as cloud...